Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Open Door

Pepper is still tiny. At the time of this post, she's 3.5 months old and still weighs less than 8 lbs. Everywhere we go, some stranger is asking how old she is. Strangers stop me to talk about her. There's almost a script to my responses because they always ask the same questions- 'how old is she? When I tell them, the next question is always 'was she premature?' Then I will usually say, 'she has a heart condition associated with her Down Syndrome that makes it difficult for her to gain weight.'

I used to get flustered by the length of time it takes to grocery shop because of the questions. I also used to get annoyed at people who acted sad or apologized. Some people will actually argue 'Well, she doesn't look like she has Down Syndrome.' It is at this point that I am speechless. I just don't know what to say to the people that go that far. 'Ummm... Thank you??' ...Or maybe tell them about the blood tests that confirmed it?

It recently occurred to me that each one of these people are an opportunity to tell a stranger about what God is doing in my life because of Pepper. Each time a stranger approaches me, I should remember that if I didn't have Pepper I wouldn't be talking to strangers. They approach me! When else in my life will I have people coming up to me in droves and asking questions -flinging the door wide open again and again for the awesome love of Christ to shine? What a divine calling!!!

So, I'm trying to change the script so that my words glorify the One who created my sweet Pepper this way. Please pray for me and for my husband-that we might be a light in our town. That more people will have seeds planted in their hearts because we answered the calling to love strangers.

We are always counting on your prayers.

Blessings,
Nicki Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment